Stand-up zipper bags are used every day in a variety of commonplace scenarios. Consumers buy products packaged in them at the grocery store, big box stores, drug stores, gas stations and more. The prevalence of this type of packaging is growing monthly in the marketplace and the best applications of stand-up zipper bags are continuously increasing.
What are stand-up zipper bags and their benefits?
Stand-up zipper bags are typically made of multiple layers of barrier film, equipped with a zipper at the top for easy opening and resealability. The films provide a very durable container for the product with the benefits of acting as a moisture and oxygen barrier to protect the packaged product. Stand-up zipper pouches continue to make inroads into replacing the two common types of rigid packaging, cans or bottles. The dimensions of the pouches and the barrier properties of the films used to custom manufacture standup zippered bags and pouches are based on the requirements of the brand owner for their specific product.
Consumer survey after survey has shown that stand-up zipper bags are appreciated for a multitude of characteristics.
- Easy to store – The flexible nature of the construction allows for boundaries to be compromised in tight spaces.
- Easy to open and reseal – This may be the most important feature that consumers value. Packages that are resealable are highly convenient and the ability to reclose the package provides extended protection of the contents.
- Ability to extend product life – This packaging extends shelf life and therefore reduces food waste.
- Easy to carry – This packaging is lighter weight versus rigid and is easier to carry and easier to manipulate when opening and closing.
- Environmentally friendly – Stand-up pouches are significantly lighter weight than any other option meaning energy consumption for transportation is less, produce significantly less municipal solid waste that other packaging options and consume significantly less energy and natural resources to produce.
- Transparency (ability to see product inside) – Current printing capabilities and construction of the multilayer package can incorporate a window in a stand-up zipper bag allowing the consumer to see what is inside.
- Microwaveable – This feature is a highly attractive convenience feature for busy people and families. New packaging options for items such as rice, pasta and vegetables allow the user to rip at a tear notch and place the food directly in the microwave.
- Attractive appearance – Advancements in printing technology allows a custom manufacturer of stand-up zipper bags to apply eye-catching graphics to the package to make it stand out on the shelf. Brand owners recognize they have less than 1 second of the shopper’s attention to make an impression.
Applications for Stand-up Zipper Pouches
The applications for stand-up pouches are limited only by the imagination. The benefits mentioned above can find use in any market. Below are some applications that have been used in the marketplace already.
- Frozen food
- Dehydrated fruits and vegetables
- Dry mixes
- Cleaning and laundry supplies
- Lawn and garden
- Pet food and treats
Stand-up Zipper Bags & Pet Food Packaging
Pet food and pet food packaging have made a marked shift in recent years from ‘one type fits all’ to ‘specialized’ due to the inclusion of more and different ingredients resulting in an ever-growing number formulations to address dietary needs based on health, age and/or medical issue. With this advent of specialized pet foods, the need for specialized packaging has followed from both product and marketing perspectives.
From the product standpoint, pet food is normally ‘ready to serve’ and will be either dry or moist. The packaging needs to be constructed to deliver optimal protection for a prolonged period, based on the formulation and to ensure that the contents remain in the form they were manufactured. In other words, the packaging needs to keep dry food dry and moist food moist. The packaging manufacturer needs to have broad and deep experience with films and knowledge of their protective properties to construct the best solution to deliver the protection each formulation requires. It is also important that the manufacturer use a process such as solventless lamination to ensure byproducts of the manufacturing process that could impact the taste or odor of the food don’t occur during production. From a marketing standpoint, a brand owner needs to have their product stand out on the shelf and 8-color flexographic printing delivers the best combination of eye-catching graphics using a cost-effective technology.
With all its inherent advantages, stand-up zipper bags continue to grow in popularity and there is every indication that we’ll find more and more products packaged in this configuration for years to come.