LPS Industries is committed to protect and preserve our natural resources by adopting business practices that are environmentally responsible. The scope of our commitment encompasses materials, processes and our facilities.
We understand and attempt to leverage the synergies that exist between sustainable practices and smart business decisions. The principles of conserving natural resources and minimizing our impact on the environment are important dimensions of our culture and guide all that we do.
Examples of what we are doing include:
- Installed a rooftop solar panel system this year that will produce 825,000 kWh of electricity while eliminating over 1,100,000 pounds of CO2 emissions annually
- Purchased 826,000 kWh of wind generated power eliminating an additional 1,100,000 pounds of CO2 emissions annually. In conjunction with our solar installation, over half of our annual power consumption is from renewable sources.
- Converted to solventless lamination – improves worker safety by eliminating potential exposure to dangerous solvents, eliminates environmental risks associated with solvent disposal and eliminates need for a temperature controlled curing room, reducing overall power consumption
- Warehouse locations – established a nationwide network of warehouses that allows us to reduce our carbon footprint associated with fulfillment
- Installed “Cool” white roof – replaced the roof on our 165,000 square foot combined corporate office and manufacturing plant with a white membrane to reduce building cooling costs and increase reflectivity
- Instituted an aggressive waste management program in 2011 that recycles 100% of our paper and polyethylene film waste
In addition to the tangible steps we’ve taken, we also try to think “outside the pouch” to identify other opportunities where we can make a difference. Examples include:
- An expanding “green” portfolio – we are continually adding packaging products that are made from recycled and natural materials as well as items that are recyclable, biodegradable or compostable.
- Reducing use of material – work with customers to redesign packaging by using fewer layers or coextruded films and replacing rigid packaging with flexible materials while maintaining the original performance characteristics
We firmly believe that demonstrating leadership, making an ongoing commitment to sustainable corporate practices and avoiding “greenwashing” will make a positive societal and environmental impact on the long term challenges facing our planet.